| Royal Selangor Club, one of Asia’s oldest sporting institutions founded in 1884, started out as a tiny wooden building with an "attap" roof. It was later redesigned in the Tudor style. The Main Club house, fondly known as "The Spotted Dog", was located at the "Padang". Expatriates and officials gathered here to relax, play billiards and watch cricket on what is now known as Dataran Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur, where major sporting events were once held.
The Club was the centre of town where members and their families gathered to socialise at functions, dinners and events. The Club has since its inception been the centre of entertainment and a place to exchange pleasantries and discuss matters of the day. “”In the early years the Club acted as the meeting point for members of the British Colonial society; however membership to the Club was primarily determined by high educational and social standards and not by race or citizenship.”
The Club was granted a royal charter by DYMM Sultan Selangor in 1984 and thereafter came to be known as Kelab DiRaja Selangor or Royal Selangor Club. The Club has since expanded to the prime residential district of Bukit Kiara with the opening of the Royal Selangor Club's Kiara Sports Annexe by DYMM Seri Paduka Baginda Yang Dipertuan Agong in 1998. RSC continues to be the premier Club in providing members with sporting and social facilities that encourage interaction and socialising in a friendly, harmonious and relaxing atmosphere.